June 15, 2009

CSA delivery #3

Having this cornucopia delivered every other Monday feels like Santa has come to visit. This week there are raspberries, nectarines, and plums, plus greens (in the bag), kale, a variety of squash, a cucumber, fennel, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, onions, a gorgeous tomato, and a peanut butter cookie.

I don't think I'll be able to resist making the heirloom tomato tart with parmesan crust again tonight. You can find that recipe here. We'll have that with a simple green salad.

Our CSA comes from Auntie Em's in northeast Los Angeles. I like what Terri Wahl, owner and chef, has to say in answer to the question "Why eat local and seasonal food?"

1. To reduce CO2 emissions needed to grow and transport food that is grown far away.
2. To avoid paying such high prices for food that is scarcer and has traveled a long way.
3. For our bodies to reconnect with nature and to satisfy our bodies' cravings.
4. It tastes better!

She says the reason she started the service was to help people who can't always get to the Farmer's Market eat better. And we're benefiting from the delivery, in so many ways. We're not only eating locally and healthfully, we're eating a wider variety of food, and I'm becoming a better cook! If you live in Los Angeles, I highly recommend checking out this invaluable service.

And now, I'm off to buy some parmesan cheese for tonight's tart. Then I'll have to figure out what to do with the rest of this haul. Does anyone know how to prepare fennel? Let me know in a Comment. And weigh in with your thoughts on CSAs, eating locally, and all things food-related.

6 comments:

Michele said...

Looks great! Just two questions: 1) What are the strange light green pod-looking items next to the raspberries and squash?
2) How do you use the Kale? The only thing I ever used it for was lining a salad bar (using it as a garnish to cover the ice around the cold items) when I was working at a restaurant. Isn't it bitter?

Angela said...

Ha- I'm not sure, but I think the pod-looking things are squash. They haven't put the list of items with a recipe up on their website yet.
Kale- oh, I love kale! One thing you can do is add it to soup near the end, about 15 minutes before it's finished. I love to eat it sauteed with olive oil and garlic, and then topped with balsamic, toasted pine nuts, and goat cheese. And I finally got my husband to eat it last week with Stacey at My Friend Oprah's recipe for Crispy Kate. Here's a link: http://myfriendoprah.blogspot.com/2009/06/full-sun-farm-4th-week.html
It is delicious, and super easy.

Ellen said...

Grill the fennel. Think savory. Great too with a dry hard cheese.

Angela said...

Whoops- I meant Crispy Kale, not Crispy Kate. Ha.
Re: Fennel- but what part do you eat, and grilled? Should it be sliced? How thin? I really haven't seen it cooked before...

Thanks Ellen.

Non Consumer Girl said...

It looks so inviting seeing all of your healthy, fresh produce on display.

Have you noticed that you have been feeling physically healthier in the last month or so?

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela

I slice the fennel half an inch thick and fry it in olive oil, at a low temperature. Use the fluffy bits from the top in a yoghurt sauce!
You can also steam the fennel and then bake it with cheese. Or bake with fish in a white sauce.
Or eat it raw, at it's most refreshing.
Miriam in Switzerland
(with Vegetable Box)