April 28, 2010

Thrifty Threads

Welcome to another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is used or recycled, from Goodwill, a thrift store, a consignment shop, ebay, freecycle, a yard sale, or anywhere else you find secondhand clothing.

Today's model is Sandy, who blogs at Hip to be Cheap. Sandy is back for a repeat performance on Thrifty Threads, with this excellent summer outfit perfect for enjoying the outdoors in beautiful Canada.

This photo was taken with her son at Echo Lake in British Columbia, near where they live. She got married here and they visited again on their anniversary. Sandy says the area is full of beautiful lakes like this.

Sandy got this pretty top for about a dollar and she made the skirt from old jeans and Freecycled ribbon. Very cute! She says her son is usually in Thrifty Threads as well, and always looks stylish no matter what he's wearing.

Sandy says it's Hip to Be Cheap, so head on over to her blog to read about her style of frugality. Sandy's tagline is "I'm cheap and that's okay," and her profile describes her as a "modern woman trying to lessen the load of debt, consumerism, and materialism and find out what truly makes me happy." I still say she's frugal, not cheap, but maybe that's all just semantics. I appreciate the honesty in her blog about how day-to-day life doesn't always go according to your best laid plans and intentions, and I've also gotten some fabulous baking recipes there.

Thanks Sandy for sending in that great photo. It really puts me in the mood for summertime. You can click here to see her first appearance on Thrifty Threads. Okay readers, it's your turn. Put on your favorite secondhand outfit, snap a photo, and send it to me at barton.angela@gmail.com. I always need more photos, and we all love to see your fabulous finds. Any and all submissions are welcome, including men, infants, and children.

Please leave your best secondhand shopping tips and compliments for Sandy in the Comments section. And click here to check out previous installments of Thrifty Threads.

4 comments:

Alea Milham said...

Sandy did such a wonderful job with her skirt! I am inspired. I have a couple of jeans with holes in the knees, perhaps I can repurpose them.

I also enjoy reading her blog, It's Hip to be Cheap.

tammy brackett said...

Love that photo! Very clever the jeans skirt!
Angela, I need to send you a photo of me in the Nicole Miller dress I bought for a buck fifty.
I have a reminder on my desk.
Also I'm starting my Frugal Field Trip Friday series today. I plan to blog, fb and twitter about my frugal fieldtrips.
This evening I'm celebrating Beltane at Agecroft Hall, a 15th century Tudor mansion here in VA. The event is $5.00 which meets the Frugal Field Trip criteria.
1.Total event cannot exceed $10 and that includes gas.
2.Has to be less than a 20 mile round trip.
3.$10 budget must come from my change jar or garden sales or book sales. $10 cannot be taken from bill paying or house funds.

Virginia is full of history and I live in the midst of it. The Hill where I live is where Cheif Powhatan, the father of Pocahontas, had one of his compounds.

This should be interesting!

The Craigs said...

LOVE that skirt idea! I had not thought of looking for clothing "accessories" such as lace and fabric on Freecycle- thanks!

Angela said...

Alea- The skirt is great- I remember doing that back when I was a kid with old jeans. We'd make skirts or purses, and back then it was all Levi 501s. I like Sandy's- it's long and I like the fabric trim at the bottom.

Tammy- Yes, please send the photo! It sounds so cute and what an incredible bargain. I love your frugal field trip idea- it's all about how you can do so much with just a little money and how having fun doesn't have to be costly. Plus you get to explore your area. Good for you! And good luck with that blog. Make sure you let me know the address.

Eleanor- Yes, another great use for Freecycle. I imagine some people tackle projects they lose enthusiasm for, and they don't want to throw perfectly good stuff away! Love freecycle!

I just love Sandy's cute photo. Thanks for all your comments.