July 23, 2009

Thrifty Threads

Welcome to another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y Outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is anything used or recycled, from the Goodwill, a thrift store, or a consignment shop.

Today's model is Sandy, who lives in western Canada and blogs at Into the Crockpot. Her blog isn't about crockpot recipes, though she does post a few of those. It's more a hodgepodge of this and that, or as Sandy describes it "a modern woman on a life journey... trying to lessen the load of debt, consumerism, and materialism... and all the good bits get thrown into the crockpot."

Some of those "good bits" are meal plans and recipes, her decluttering challenges, and photos of her adventures with her 5-year-old son. For example, just the other day they went to the beach... TWICE. I particularly enjoy her humor: for example, trying to get her husband on board with eating healthier and wasting less food, only to come home to a refrigerator jampacked with KFC. You can read about that struggle here.

Sandy found this great summer get up at Value Village, which isn't just for Canadians. Click here to find one near you. I definitely have Value Village envy, and have heard it talked about with much enthusiasm. Sandy describes it as a "thrift department store." She said she was hesitant to send in the photo (taken by her 5-year-old son, a running theme on this series) because she quit smoking five months ago and so she's put on some weight because of all the cooking and baking she's been doing. But she "gulped down her vain pride" since I advocate real women and real curves here on Thrifty Threads.

Congratulations Sandy! Gaining a few pounds is definitely worth the health benefits you'll get from kicking the habit. I did it myself 17 years ago, so I know how hard it is. And on top of all that good health, better smelling clothes and house, and the stress of trying to sneak smokes, Sandy says she's already saved $1000! Wow. That should be reason enough to give up cigarettes if you haven't yet.

This "ensemble" cost less than $5 at Value Village. A cute, comfortable summer outfit for less than the price of a double mocha. What a bargain. Thanks for sucking it up and sending in the photo, Sandy. I think you look great. And you're saving your lovely skin and smile from the ravages of smoking.

Readers, you know the drill. Put on your favorite secondhand clothes, snap a photo, and send it to me. You can find my email address on my profile page. We all want to see your fabulous finds. So don't be shy. Click here to check out previous installments of Thrifty Threads.

Do you shop at thrift stores? Do you have a Value Village near you? Tell me about your favorite secondhand scores. And let Sandy know you appreciate her willingness to "take one for the team," as she put it.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

A cool side-effect of this series is all the neat blogs it's turned me on to! Good job, both Angela and the model!

calimama @ compactbydesign said...

Angela, you now have a whole new reason to head to Las Vegas. They have Savers which is the sister store to Value Village. My in-laws live there and we make a point of checking out the new stock every time we go. That's where I got my first bread machine that I waxed so poetic about!

Marylyn said...

I know you might go, "Yucky, eeewww," but I found two bras at Value Village here that fit me perfectly and seemed hardly worn. They were $1.49 each.

Angela said...

Thanks Ellen- Yes, I hope to be able to steer my readers in the direction of other blogs.

Calimama- yes, I've heard of Savers, and it may have first been on your blog. Although it's not enough reason to get me to Vegas- I'd have to have in-laws or friends to get me there.

Marylyn- Sounds like a great deal. I don't think barely worn bras are gross. I have bras I bought because they were pretty and hardly worn them at all, I don't like a lot of lace or anything itchy. If someone wore one of those, it would be just like getting it new.

Kristen@TheFrugalGirl said...

Yay! A new participant!

We have a Value Village here, but it's sort of out of the way for me. But, maybe I should go check it out sometime.