September 28, 2010

Frugal, At-Home Beauty Treatments

Gorgeous! Here I am testing out one of the Frugal Beauty Treatments I want to share with you. Because just because you don't want to spend spa-level money doesn't mean you can't have a spa-level experience. I'm also showing off the evidence of my recent shoulder surgery -- bandages and rashes across my collarbone. Sexy!

You can have beautiful skin and hair using ingredients you already have, without buying expensive products. The bonus is that this stuff is natural and organic, so in the long run it may be better for you, and it's definitely better for the environment. No packaging!

These are some great ones I've collected from magazines and around the Internet:

FIG FACIAL SCRUB/MASK: Mix together 1 cup brown sugar, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1/8 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup mashed figs, 1 oz. vanilla and rub into face and neck. Rinse thoroughly or leave on until it dries into a mask and rinse. This is the mask I'm wearing in the photo. It left my skin very soft and smooth looking, and there was plenty left for a body scrub. Figs are loaded with antioxidants, but I would use this one without the figs when they're out of season. It smells good enough to eat!

LAVENDER BATH: Grind the following ingredients into a smooth, fine powder in a food processor or blender: 1 cup dried lavender, 2 cups oatmeal, 1/2 cup baking soda. Store in a clean, airtight container. To use, pour 1/2 cup as you run a warm bath. Baths are one of the cheapest, easiest ways to wind down at the end of a hard day. On top of being relaxing, this one will leave your skin silky soft.

BODY SCRUB: Combine 1/2 cup Epsom salts, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup sunflower oil and store in a clean glass jar. Sloughs off dead skin and gives you a rosy glow all over. Sunset magazine recommends this as part of a DIY gift basket that also includes slippers, an eye mask, and a homemade lavender sachet.

HAIR CONDITIONER: In a small glass bowl, mash 1/2 avocado, 2 Tbsp. honey, 2 Tbsp. vodka, and 1 egg yolk with a fork to make a creamy mixture. Apply to freshly-shampooed, towel-dried hair. Leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse well in warm water and shampoo and style as usual. This recipe is recommended for healthy, shiny hair by celebrity hairstylist Robert Hallowell.

HAND AND FOOT SCRUB: Mix 2 Tbsp. light olive oil or grapeseed oil and 2 Tbsp. sugar and rub onto hands and feet, focusing on calloused areas. Rinse under warm water and pat dry for silky-smooth skin.

FOOT SOAK: Fill a bowl with warm water and add a few teaspoons of almond oil and a couple of drops of essential oil. Soak for 15 minutes to relax and soothe tired feet. For a healing as well as relaxing experience, after drying feet, apply lotion or oil and wear socks to allow the treatment to penetrate dry skin.

My own DIY hair moisturizer that I've been using since I was a teenager is to rub olive oil into dry hair, leave on up to 30 minutes, and then shampoo. It might take a couple of shampoos to rinse out, but it takes out the frizz and leaves your hair shiny and manageable.

Whether it's relaxing or beautifying you're looking for, or both, these recipes fit everyone's budget.

What are your favorite frugal, at-home beauty treatments? Please share them in the Comments section.

4 comments:

Kate Sommers said...

Love it! I just did a similar at home spa treatment with my papaya skins. I've been eating about two papayas a day and thought I could
put the skins to good use so I rubbed them over my entire body then washed it off. It left my skin feeling as soft as a babies and a week later I'm still silky smooth!
Glad to see you're recovering well from your surgery! ~Aloha

stephanie aka those tricks said...

You are a brave brave woman.
Nice post, Ang!
I want to try some of these.
Why did you have to have shoulder surgery?!

nrhatch said...

Thought you'd be interested in this:

http://carolyndonnell.wordpress.com/2010/09/28/dr-oz-show-dollar-store-anti-aging-secrets/

Angela said...

Steph- thanks! I don't know if it's brave, it's just wacko. I just moved over to wordpress and lost your comment - don't know if I can figure out how to move it. Don't be hurt. I had a torn anterior labrum, basically the tendon on the bone tore where the arm attaches to the shoulder. Ouch! The crazy thing is that I didn't have an injury I was aware of, it happened over time or possibly overstretching in yoga. It had been bothering me for months so at this point the surgery was a relief because now I can recover and get back to normal eventually. Although it's hard to imagine ever doing handstands again!

nrhatch- thanks for that- I can't wait to check it out! Sorry I think your comment has been lost in the transfer, but I'd love it if you left it on the new blog for people. No problem if you don't have time, thanks for the comment.