September 15, 2010

What's next...

Thank you for all your comments and emails responding to my question about what you like best about this blog. Luckily you seem to be in sync with me about the direction I'd like to take things.

Here's what won't change:

I'll still be bringing you posts about living a non-consumer lifestyle, including thoughts and insights about purchasing decisions, getting rid of STUFF, and what makes us happy. I will continue with Thrifty Threads as long as I keep receiving your photographs. The feature is a reader favorite, and I love writing it. It is so inspiring to see how creative you all are in the area of buying secondhand while still being stylish. I'll also continue with Meatless Mondays and CSA deliveries, although probably less often. And the blog will continue to be ad-free.

What will change:

I'm working on a new design for the blog. I have finally caved in to the reality that wordpress is simply a more widely-used platform that offers more options and will make it easier for me to deliver timely posts. Also, I wanted to create a professional website and have the blog be connected to it, and that made wordpress the clear choice. I'm excited about the new blog, and the features it will allow me to bring to you. But I'm putting it together with great care so that you won't miss anything about the old blog.

I won't be doing regular Food Waste Friday posts any longer, although I'll still be watching our food waste. I still strongly believe in the cause so I'll probably mention it once in awhile, but I'm not going to be photographing and posting our waste and writing about it any longer.

I'll be posting less often, so that I can dig deeper into some topics, like I wrote about in this post last week. I'll still be posting regularly, not sporadically, but probably 2 or 3 times a week rather than nearly every day. Here are some of the topics I've been wanting to explore:
  • Our nontraditional, frugal wedding.
  • Birthday freebies.
  • Frugal, drought-tolerant landscaping.
  • Green drycleaning.
  • Frugal, at-home body treatments.
  • More giveaways.
  • Organic cosmetics update.
  • More non-consumer gift ideas.
  • Roadblocks, both interior and exterior, to simple living.

Those are just a few of the ideas for posts in the works...

I'm looking forward to it, and I hope you'll continue to stop by. Thanks again for your input!

6 comments:

Cate said...

So exciting! I love your blog and I missed it during your vacation.

Tammy Brackett said...

Can't wait to hear more about your frugal wedding. I had a frugal wedding of my own! My Auntie did the food, I bought my own dress for $75.00, taped music to play during the ceremony (no live music) had the ceremony at my parents house. Of course that was 1977. I'm no longer married but the wedding was nice! And cheap!

amy said...

I'm excited about the wedding post too. Our wedding was nontraditional and frugal as well. We spent a total of $500 including tux rental, dress, food, and location fees. Factor in the rings and it was $1k total. I love hearing how others do that type of thing :-)

Angela said...

Thanks for your sweet comments, everyone. I missed you all too! Don't get too excited about that wedding post, it was practically an elopement and I don't think it will be that exciting to read about. But it was definitely frugal. I'm trying to figure out how to get my husband to let me post a photo of us, he's intensely private and doesn't like me posting photos of him on my blog. We have a lot in common, but obviously that's not one of the things we share, since I'm such a blabbermouth with my blog and feel like my readers are friends.

Kristen@TheFrugalGirl said...

We'll miss you over on food waste Friday! I tried going without it, and couldn't manage...I wasted way too much! lol

Oh, and Mr. FG dislikes public attention just like yours, so I haven't gotten him to agree to me sharing wedding photos either. lol So I just posted ones of myself. =P

Angela said...

Thanks Kristen. I really admire you for doing it, and am so happy to have been a part of it. It's helped me SO much. It's just too time-consuming to continue as I recognize the reality of cutting back on my posting schedule.

I'm surprised about Mr. FG because it seems you post photos of him fairly often. But that's what I'll probably have to do with the wedding photos!

I haven't forgotten about your last Thrifty Threads submission- I'll let you know when it's going up in a couple of weeks! thanks.