February 15, 2010

Recipe: Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake

Courtesy of The Hillside Produce Cooperative.

4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
grated zest and juice of a lemon
1/2 cup regular or extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves stripped off and chopped
a couple more sprigs of rosemary to decorate the top (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, beat eggs for about a minute until forthy. Add sugar and beat for a few minutes until mixture is thick and pale. Add lemon zest, juice, and olive oil and beat again. Combine flour, baking powder, rosemary, and salt in another bowl, then add to egg mixture. Stir by hand until just combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan (sprayed or lined with parchment). Lay decorative rosemary on top. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until golden.

This would make a lovely gift. I can't wait to try it, since it's an easy quickbread and I've got all the ingredients (thanks to Hynden).

3 comments:

Carla said...

Oooooo, the bread looks wonderful! I've got a rosemary bush, too. Can't wait to try the recipe, Angela. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hillside Coop rules - we are members. My baby made this cake for me (albiet gluten free) for valentines desert - great treat :)

And thanks for the rosemary.

Angela said...

Carla- You're welcome! I hope I have time this weekend.

Marc- Aw, how sweet. Maybe I'll meet you sometime! Thanks for commenting.