May 14, 2010

Food Waste Friday plus Free Stuff

This post is very late, and it's also going to be very short.

That's our waste for the week: snap peas, mixed greens, and a mystery herb. It might be tarragon, I'm not sure. I used it a couple of times and then it went yellow. The bagged greens I bought in a moment of weakness, when I was experiencing a salad craving in between CSA deliveries. And the snap peas I just didn't get to. Shame on me.

I'm not a very good example this week, but food waste just wasn't at the top of my priority list. On the bright side, it's all compostable so I won't be sending any food to the landfill. Also, we're still generating much less trash than we were this time last year or anytime before that. And I'm very happy about that.

Why care about wasting food? Because it's bad for the environment, and not so great for your bank account either. Find out more at Wasted Food.

FREE STUFF ALERT: Click here for 5 ways to Get Free Stuff on Twitter. Yes, I said the "T" word. Even though I don't personally use Twitter, that's no reason to begrudge my readers some great deals if they partake. I'm really having a problem focusing on some important things these days, and adding Twitter to my life is NOT going to help me with that issue. It's hard for me to believe it would be anything but one more distraction, even if it turned out to be a positive one. By the way, I got that tip from Natalie, The Frugalista herself.

Are you watching your food waste? How did you do this week? Tell us about it in the Comments section.

2 comments:

susan said...

it's not tarragon....tarragon has long straight leaves (like a leafy rosemary)....my trick with herbs going bad is just chop and freeze...any stew,soup, or pasta sauce... i throw in many cups full...fresh tasting even from the freezer

Angela said...

Yes Susan- that's a great tip, and I've got to start doing that!

Also, some herbs are fine, they just get dried out and that's no problem, whereas others go bad- yellow or soggy, etc.

Don't know what that mystery herb was...