July 8, 2009

Thrifty Threads

Welcome to another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y Outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is anything used or recycled, from the Goodwill, a thrift store, or a consignment shop.

I'm thrilled to present the very first male model for the series. Alan is a tradesman tile setter who competes in triathlons and plays in an adult soccer league. It's actually his wife Meg who reads this blog and sent in the photo. But it was Alan who found this Nike dri-fit shirt at the Goodwill for $3.99. Quite a bargain, considering that kind of thing usually goes for $40-$50 retail. Alan says he LOVES a good find because he's a tightwad by nature. He also says "I will dumpster dive in a heartbeat!"

Well, he didn't need to do that to score this shirt, he just had to accompany his wife and daughter to the Goodwill. And now he's got a shirt perfect for all his athletic activities for a fraction of the cost he'd pay new. Alan and Meg raised their children using Amy Dacyczyn's The Tightwad Gazette as their guide. Alan makes homemade maple syrup and pancakes from scratch, and built the chicken coop for their 100 hens (!) mostly from recycled materials. Meg has recently started a blog called My Nifty Thrifty Life where she posts recipes, photos of quilts she makes, and much more. Check it out.

Thanks Alan for letting me post your photo. I wouldn't call you a tightwad, I'd call you very smart. And I think a lot of people would agree. So come on readers, it's your turn! Put on your fabulous finds, take a photo and send it to me. My email address can be found on my profile page. It's so fun to see the great clothes people are finding at their local Goodwill these days. And click here if you want to check out previous installments of Thrifty Threads.

Do you shop at the Goodwill? What's your best thrift store score? Tell us about your secondhand shopping adventures in the Comments section. And send in those photos!

UPDATE: I know I asked for your comments about the Goodwill, but let's show Alan some love! He bought a shirt that costs $40 or $50 at REI or Patagonia for less than 4 bucks, and he looks hot in it! Plus he has the guts to model in a photo! Thanks Alan! The whole point of this segment is to show what great clothes people are finding at the Goodwill and other thrift stores, and how if we change our attitude about the Goodwill we can start finding great stuff ourselves. Look back at previous segments of Thrifty Threads for more examples of smart people wearing stylish clothes that they got for a song.

12 comments:

Ellen said...

Fun post! I like that you give some information about the subject/reader. Inspirational series, encouraging me to find clothes for less. It's the one area of goodwill I avoid--guess I need to get over that.

Jenna said...

I found something even better than Goodwill in (believe it or not) Santa Monica! Crossroads Trading Co. is a fantastic consigment shop. Unlike Goodwill, they only accept clothes in excellent condition. They also have a lot of stylish clothes and lots of designer clothes for a fraction of the price!

stephanie said...

ooh! A male model, i love it.

I think Goodwill can be a little moth ball-y. I rarely find anything there. Unless it's say, an old ski jacket I need to do outdoor dirty work in the cold.

For you LA-ers, I highly recommend the Buffalo exchange in the valley over the Melrose location. There is also a Cross Roads on Fairfax, fyi.

One day I want to organize (i've seen it in various women's magazines) a clothing/bag/shoe/jewelry swap party. Tell friends to bring usable items they would donate anyway (and a bottle of wine!) and let everyone grab some new stuff. The leftovers can then be taken to goodwill. (Also a good idea for parents who have a few kids - gather a group of moms and bring all the outgrown or unused clothes/toys and trade around. Take leftovers to a family shelter, etc.)

yeehaw

Angela said...

Ellen- Thanks! I'm so glad it's inspiring you. I'd love to get a photo from you!

Jenna- Thanks for the tip. I will definitely make a trip there with my friend when I'm visiting her in Santa Monica. It sounds great. Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it.


Stephanie- Congrats on your blog! I LOVE what you write on the right hand column- Facebook, don't even get me started! How can I explain to people how much more fun, useful, inspiring, and relevant it is to read good blogs. It's so much more interesting to me.

Thanks for the Buffalo Exchange tip- I've been to the Melrose location once, but I don't have much patience for shopping so I have to find 3 or 4 shops I love and just go there. I'll try the valley location. The Goodwill in Sherman Oaks is supposedly the only good one in L.A.

And about the swaps- they're the best! This year will be my 3rd- and some of us haven't needed to buy clothes since we started. We've got a very specific, great group that has really nice clothes. It's super fun to get clothes you love for free, and what's just as fun is seeing your friend looking great in something you never wear.

Kristen@TheFrugalGirl said...

I think that thrift stores really vary depending on the location. My Goodwill is very neat and clean and I've found some really, really awesome stuff there. The Salvation Army near me is really messy and stinky, though.

Kate said...

I bought something new the other day (hurried purchase for a special occasion) - and guess what? The shirt didn't wash up so wonderfully. Even in cold water, no dry!

The great thing about second hand clothes is that they've been washed and worn. No surprises.

Kate

Non Consumer Girl said...

Good to see a guy on Thrifty threads!

tammy said...

I am SO impressed with a GUY who understand a good deal! KUDOS to Alan for not only being thrifty but having the guy guts to MODEL that ultra cool shirt! And he likes to dumpster diver AND he makes homemade maple syrup and pancakes.
Darn....maybe we should send him a super man dad cape to go along with this wonderful nifty shirt!
Meg- I'm coming to check out your site. Love the name

Angela said...

Kristin-
The Goodwills in L.A. are not generally very nice, but they obviously vary greatly, and that's what I'm trying to show in this segment. People are finding great stuff at the Goodwill!

Kate- That's a good point. Some new clothes don't last beyond one wearing- what a waste.

Non consumer girl- I agree!

Tammy- I agree- he's a keeper for sure. Smart, frugal, handy, and great looking. Plus he cooks. Wait, he sounds a lot like my husband. I'm going to start working on him to model the excellent shirt I found at the Goodwill for his birthday.

Bean said...

Just great to see a guy out there modelling second hand clothes. My husband is glad to know he is not alone! We are always finding great deals at second hand stores, especially on clothing and I agree with the person who commented about the clothes already being washed, no surprises!

CB said...

Hey Angela,

Just wanted to say that Thrify Threads is still on my mind - just keep trying to get a good picture! The last time I go someone to take a picture for me in a 2nd hand outfit it turned out too backlit.

I'll get my contribution to you at some point, promise!

Angela said...

Wildermiss- Glad to hear it! Thanks for letting me know.