August 20, 2009

Thrifty Threads

It's Thursday, time for another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y Outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is used or recycled, from the Goodwill, a thrift store, or a consignment shop.

Today's model is "Wildermiss" of A Mountain Top High. She "writes this blog to quench my wanderlust when I'm stuck in the city." (from the about me section) She lives in Vancouver in British Columbia and posts about the fantastic hiking and camping in the area, along with lots of detailed practical advice like how to buy a touring bike, what to pack on a camping trip, how to "gear up" on the cheap, and how to avoid bears in the woods. She also shares the occasional recipe, like this one for homemade granola bars, that sound awesome. In every post, her love of the outdoors shines through. I love visiting from my tiny office, vicariously living her wilderness adventures.

Along with her boyfriend (she refers to him as Mountain Man on her blog), Wildermiss just returned from a week-long biking trip along the Oregon coast. It sounds amazing. She's been posting their itinerary and route, photos, and a packing list the past couple of days. In my opinion, biking is the perfect way to experience areas of scenic beauty because of the speed at which you're traveling. While I love to hike, you can't cover that much ground, and from a car or train it can pass by too quickly.

Wildermiss bought this super cute outfit at Buffalo Exchange, which several readers have mentioned as a great place to shop. I know we have a couple in Los Angeles, and I'm more convinced than ever to check it out when I get to the point when I actually need some clothes. The shorts and top were about $10 each, but she got them on trade because she was bringing in some clothes to sell. What a great find!

Remember when I called for women size 10 and above to send in their photo? Wildermiss is a size 10 in clothing, a size 10 in shoes, and 5'10" tall. She says she loves the "good things come in threes symmetry" of her measurements and also gets a kick out of telling the saleperson "I'm a ten" when they ask what size she needs.

Thanks Wildermiss for the great photo! Readers, please keep the pictures coming! We all want to see your fabulous finds. So don't be shy. I love being able to do this feature every week, and I'll continue as long as I keep hearing from you. It's such an inspiration to see that it's possible to be stylish for very little money.

Do you shop at secondhand stores? Please leave your questions and comments, and compliments for Wildermiss in the Comments section. And click here if you want to check out previous installments of Thrifty Threads.

2 comments:

Alea Milham said...

What a nice outfit and what a great attitude!

Angela said...

Alea- Yes, I love the outfit and the gorgeous photo!

Thanks for commenting- everyone writes to me and says this is their favorite feature, but then it often gets very few comments.