August 26, 2009

Wine Finds

It's time once again for another installment of Wine Finds, where I tell you about a delicious bottle of wine for under $10.

I'm very excited to share this one with you, because this tasty bottle actually comes in just under $5, or $4.99 at good old Trader Joe's. I had a reader recommendation ready to share with you, but then I realized I should get in one more white wine selection before Labor Day. I wanted to play by the rules, you know: No white after Labor Day. Well, okay, so it refers to fashion, not wine. But since we drink more white wine in the summer than the rest of the year, I thought this was a good time for this old standby. There are still plenty of days of summer left to enjoy, if you ignore the little children on their way back to school.

After unsuccessfully looking for some of the whites suggested by readers, we tried a few other bottles of white wines that weren't Sauvignon Blanc. And I'm sorry to say, I really am picky about white wine and I really don't like a basic Chardonnay-style sweet white wine at all. So I'm bringing you one of our favorites that's great for the price.

This bottle of Stonehedge Sauvignon Blanc is smooth, crisp, and not too sweet. It comes from a small family winery in the Napa Valley. It goes great with a seafood pasta or anything vegetarian. According to the label, it's "clean and crisp on the palate with an aromatic nose followed by layers of melon, citrus, and subtle hints of passion fruit." I agree with the fruitiness.

I just looked up this wine on a few websites and it's not only rated very high, it's listed as costing $12 on one of them, and $12.99 on another. So this is an even better deal than I thought, if you can pick up a bottle at Trader Joe's for $4.99. I think I'll stock up tomorrow.

Please let me know if you try this, and if so, where you bought it and how much it cost. And tell me if you like it. Next time I'll have a reader recommendation to share with you that I'm very excited about! Please leave your thoughts, questions, and recommendations in the Comments section. And click here if you want to check out previous installments of Wine Finds.

No comments: