November 6, 2009

Thrifty Threads


Welcome to another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y Outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is used or recycled, from Goodwill, a thrift store, or a consignment shop.

Today's model is Danielle, who says she buys pretty much all of her clothing sustainable, local, or secondhand, which means she buys secondhand most of the time. Danielle got this cute dress for just $8 at a thrift store in Hollywood. She says it's served her well for a wedding, a funeral, and a night out of storytelling, where she was headed when this action shot was taken.

Danielle is a writer who blogs at Less Is More Balanced, which I've mentioned before. It's one of my favorite green and simple living sources, for products, DIY projects, people, and services. Danielle will tell you about how to detox your bedroom, review a new book on sustainable living, tell you where to go to recycle your gadgets or swap tools with your neighbor, and share all kinds of tips on how to live a more balanced life. She hasn't been able to post regularly for the past couple of weeks due to illness, but she hopes to be back to her regular posting schedule next week. Danielle also writes short stories and children's books, which you can check out on her website Danielle Davis Reads and Writes.

Thanks Danielle for sending that cute photo and keeping the series going. Okay readers, it's your turn. Put on your favorite secondhand outfit, snap a photo, and send it to me at barton.angela@gmail.com. We all want to see your fabulous finds, so don't be shy. We like to see all types of people and all types of clothing on Thrifty Threads. I can't wait to hear from you!

Do you shop secondhand? I was very excited to make my first purchase of clothing for myself at our local Goodwill yesterday. Previously I'd found two Hawaiian shirts for my husband, but nothing for myself. This jean jacket was barely worn and super soft. So I might have to feature moi someday soon on Thrifty Threads. Please leave your tips and advice about secondhand clothes shopping, and compliments for Danielle in the Comments section. And click here if you want to check out previous installments of Thrifty Threads.

8 comments:

Money Funk said...

That is a really cute dress! I have a black pair of knee high boots, I got for $5 at a thrift store and has 4 years with me, that would look really cute with that dress.
My husband polishes them for me and they stay looking great!

Angela said...

I LOVE dresses with boots! That's my favorite "uniform" during winter, although I have a lot more skirts than dresses... I think I'll go secondhand shopping for a couple of dresses...

I wonder what shoes Danielle is wearing...

steph said...

LOVE Danielle's dress!

I am really into dresses lately. Secondhand dresses, of course. Tonight I wore a luscious, buttery velvet number from Barney's. Impeccably tailored, invisible pockets that are also seamlessly velvet.
My cost? $30. aw yeah.

And Monkey Funk - $5 knee high leather boots. aiiieeeee!! fantastic.

stephanie

Angela said...

Steph- woo hoo! you've come a long way from the girl who only wanted to wear jeans and t-shirts (still a great classic look). Send me a photo of THAT outfit!

Catherine said...

Hi Angela. I just love your site, especially this section. There's so much high-priced 'eco' and 'green' fashion being marketed, but with so many stylish clothes already produced, I can't justify buying something new. Plus the production is still taking a toll on the planet, even if it's made with organic materials.

I've put together three clothing swaps at work with the help of two co-workers, and it's an even more frugal way to acquire clothes, shoes, and accessories.

I also love charitable thrift stores. People can find one by them here: http://www.thethriftshopper.com/

Danielle and all the others look amazing.

Keep up the great work. You can count me as a regular reader.

Catherine

Angela said...

Vegan Good Life- Thanks SO much for making a comment. I often get emails about how much people like Thrifty Threads, but sometimes it's hard to tell because the segment usually doesn't generate that many comments.

I agree that there are a lot of high-priced "green" products, but that buying used is actually the greenest. The way I look at it is that our whole country has been on a binge for 20-30 years, so there is already enough merchandise in circulation to last -- I don't know-- at least another 20 years. The other night I was drooling over some $200 "eco" boots in Yoga Journal, thinking I'll be fine with the 3 pairs of boots I already own and love. Although $5 for boots at a thrift store is pretty awesome.

I love clothing swaps- I started organizing one with my girlfriends a few years ago and they're so great- I haven't really shopped much and not at all this year while on The Compact. And thanks for the link to the charitable thrift store. I'll check it out.

Send in a photo- I always need more!

steph said...

hey ang - I am so bad about snapping photos when I have those outfits on for ya, but I will try to get them! I even went to dinner with my mom in that dress, so could have had one taken NOT by me at last. alas. I'm sure I'll wear it again soon. Very fall/winter.

Also - LOVE that lettuce tip. Lettuce goes bad on me pretty much 100% of the time, before I've had a chance to get through a whole head. I actually re-posted your discovery on my blog. Such a good tip for anyone who buys lettuce EVER!

-s

Danielle said...

I believe I had on a pair of dusty blue Camper boots (not secondhand, but should last a lifetime, I hope). I haven't worn girly shoes in years and probably never will again, without apology. :)

This is such a fun space for thrifty shoppers to dish on their steals--so gratifying!

Thanks for including me, Angela.