November 12, 2009

Thrifty Threads


Welcome to another installment of Thrifty Threads, AKA Most Stylish Compact-y Outfit, where readers model their favorite secondhand clothes.

A Compact-y outfit is used or recycled, from Goodwill, a thrift store, or a consignment shop.

Today's model is Anita, who's an awesome feature film editor. I had the pleasure of working with Anita on a film called Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, which was a Disney movie starring Lindsay Lohan. Some of the other films she's edited include Albert Brooks' Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World, the Emmy-nominated TV-movie Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story, and my personal favorite Legally Blonde. Anita modestly downplays her own contributions, but a good editor can make or break a comedy (or any film, for that matter).

Anita got this entire outfit at Crossroads Trading Company. The Max Studio pleated wool skirt was $18.50, the H&M tuxedo vest was $10.50, and the Theory t-shirt was $9. Anita thanks her daughter for introducing her to used clothing. She says now she's hooked and she studies outfits she loves from In Style magazine, then takes the pictures to the thrift stores and tries to duplicate the look. Anita says it helps her focus and buy only what she set out to buy. Plus, it keeps her from being overwhelmed by too many possibilities. It sounds to me just like how an editor would approach a situation, in a creative and problem-solving manner.

This adorable outfit inspires me to break out my vest collection. I love vests, and there are ten or twelve in my closet that I've had for years and can't bear to part with. Thanks Anita for sending in that fantastic photo! Readers, now it's your turn. I'd love to keep doing this series every Thursday, but the photos are trickling in, so if you love seeing everyone's fabulous finds, they'll love seeing yours too! So put on your favorite secondhand outfit, snap a photo, and send it to me at barton.angela@gmail.com. I love to see what people are finding out there. If you absolutely don't want to send in a photo of yourself, send one of your husband, mother, or kids. Just as long as they're wearing secondhand clothes, we want to see them.

Do you shop secondhand? Give us your best tips and advice, plus compliments for Anita in the Comments section. And click here if you want to check out previous installments of Thrifty Threads.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Looking good, Anita! Good for you for not buying those over-priced items in the glossy magazines. In Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl, American Debra Ollivier tells of a French friend who would look through magazines and declare, "Fairy tales!" Ollivier also noted, "We don't have to have more in order to be more."

When I step into my local thrift store, I like to go with an open-mind and no expectations. I try not to buy something unless I absolutely love it and know I will get good use out of it. Also, I try and bring a few things each time I go to put my own unwanted items back into the universe.

Angela, I'll definitely send a photo. Thank you for promoting both the budget- and eco-friendliness of second hand clothes. I wish more women would empower other women not to spend our hard-earned money on high-priced fashion. I always see comments like "it's so hard to be green on a budget" when people see expensive eco-fashion. What's more green than going thrift and using what we already have?

Catherine

Non-Consumer girl said...

Hi Angela,

Looks like Anita has some good pieces there to add to her wardrobe.

I went to the Frock Swap party last night and I came away with a lovely day dress, with no $$ changing hands!

I will ask my photographer (6 year old Barbie Girl) to schedule me in on the weekend for a photo shoot and send you a photo early next week for Thrifty Threads..

annet said...

I went to the YWCA thrift shop ("Y's Buys") in my town on Tuesday just on a urge to go there. The stock was much depleted. Don't know if it was the economy (lots of buyers) or they had become more discriminating in what they were now stocking. The stock was definitely good. I'm short so I'm always on the lookout for pants I don't have to hem up to wear -- found two pairs! and a long sleeve shirt that matched one of them in a lime green I'd been wanting to get into my wardrobe to match other pieces I already had.

Angela said...

Catherine- That's a great attitude. Expectations are always hard to meet, and sometimes keep us blind to what's right in front of us (that's life, not just shopping!)I'd love to get a photo from you! And I agree that the greenest alternative is secondhand.

Non Consumer Girl- That would be great! A repeat performance from the first Thrifty Threads model! I love it! I hope Barbie Girl can squeeze you in...

Annet- Oh, send a photo of your lime green shirt! Anita is also short and always needing hemming. I'm lucky to be 5'5", because I think that's considered average. I only occasionally need to hem, and I don't have the opposite problem tall women have of everything being too short!

Thanks for all your comments!